Alabama Balance of State Continuum of Care STRATEGIC PLANNING
Alabama BoS CoC Strategic Plan
For years, the agencies and organizations that comprise the Alabama Balance of State CoC have worked to provide housing and services to those experiencing homelessness. Through these agencies and organizations, thousands of individuals and families are provided with shelter and assistance to find new homes and regain stability in those homes. Still, homelessness remains a pressing issue for too many in rural Alabama communities.
Feeling a sense of urgency and a commitment to end homelessness in our region, the Alabama Balance of State CoC adopted a Strategic Plan to End Homelessness. This plan embraces bold goals and describes various concrete strategies for achieving these goals, which include reducing and ending homelessness among various subpopulations.
Through the Strategic Plan, the CoC has set the following goals to achieve by 2021:
- Reduce all homelessness by 20%.
- End chronic homelessness (achieve/maintain functional zero).
- End Veterans homelessness (achieve/maintain functional zero).
- Reduce homelessness among families with children by 20% (households), achieve/maintain functional zero for unsheltered families with children & reduce the number of families with children in transitional housing by at least 20%.
- Reduce homelessness among unaccompanied youth experiencing homelessness by 20%.
- Set a path to end all forms of homelessness: families with children, youth, couples, singles, people with disabilities including addiction, and those fleeing domestic violence.
To achieve the bold goals listed above, the CoC has identified the several strategies to pursue, including:
- Expand affordable housing resources (partnership with AHFA HOME & LIHTC Developers for set-aside units)
- Increase leadership, collaboration & civic engagement
- Improve economic security and increase income
- Expand & align resources (Increase membership)
- Retool & strengthen the homelessness assistance system (recently awarded a HUD CoC Coordinated Entry grant-FY19)
- Improve capacity for data collection & analysis (HMIS Capacity Grant)
To end homelessness in rural Alabama, we need your help! To learn more about the Alabama Balance of State CoC’s Strategic Plan and how you can join our effort to reduce and end homelessness, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.